8/1/08

another picture of Aisinda...




...where she is being held by Dr. Werner Roeder (our "Abu Idi"). This photo was taken in the encampement of Aisinda's owners. They were Peulh, another ethnicity of the Kel Tamasheq. They called her aoura, meaning sand. But well, I'm sort of a name freak in case you haven't noticed so I had to find a special name for her. The next picture is of Aisinda and Tamgak when they climbed with me to the top of the dune behind Menaka. And the third photo is of Tazrayt, Aisinda, and Tiraout. I like that photo very much...but of course I have to find out who took it...well, it was one of us anyway. There were no paparazzi (sp?) around anywhere. UPDATE: My friend and fellow ABIS member Gerhard Hans wrote to me from Germany this morning to tell me that he took the the bottom two photos as well as the two photos of his idi Youf Akim [in a previous post]...thanks Gernard! wa ma asalaamou.

3 comments:

Brett said...

OK, that's it. You MUST do a book with all your stories and all these incredible photos. I've only ever met one other person with this gift of capturing the right image, he's a legend in my field now.

Best,

Brett

donnaj said...

Again, I am amazed by the beauty of your photos and the regal lines of your Azawkh. I can understand why they deserve special names.

Brian Reiter said...

I know of two instances where a blog or personal wiki turned into a book printed on "dead trees". Granted, they were both books on programming... But there was just an interesting story on NPR this morning about how self-publishing is becoming more common and that book publishing in general is becoming more democratized. You also have an independent publisher that lives in your neck-of-the-woods named Dutch Salmon. His company is the High Lonesome Books. Dutch Salmon is into gazehounds. He wrote the book Gazehounds & Coursing.